Unless you used the design-build approach for remodeling or building your home, you must select both an architect and a general contractor.
Who you select as your architect is very important. And who you select as your general contractor is also very important.
While you design your project before you build it, it is better to select your general contractor before or at the same time as your architect.
Here are 5 very good reasons for picking your general contractor first.
- The majority of your cost will be for construction and the majority of your investment’s value from the construction. The quality and craftsmanship of your project will be determined by who builds your project.
- The majority of your time will be spent in construction and with your general contractor. How smoothly your project runs and your overall project experience is very much determined by your general contractor.
- If there is a problem with the plans, if you pick a good general contractor they are more likely to notice the problem before they build it. And so, it’s better to use a builder who views you as their client and is looking out for your best interested. Not a contractor who is beholden to architects for referrals.
- Your far more likely to select a contractor you work well with and does the type and quality of work you want if you select the contractor without being influenced by an architect’s recommendations. Architects tend to recommend builders that make them look good.
- A quality builder can help you steer clear of architects whose work looks good but costs more than it needs to to build. And away from architects who don’t prepare plans and specs well or work well with builders.
Bonus Reason: If you pick your builder first you can have them involved with the project from the start. They can provide you and your architect cost information about the ideas being discussed as the project is progressing. In this way you are less likely to end up with a design you love, but is way more than you wish to invest.
Geauga County, OH: Bentleyville| Chagrin Falls | Chardon | Chesterland | Novelty | Russell | Russell
Lake County, OH: Kirtland | Kirtland Hills | Mentor | Waite Hill | Willoughby Hills
Lorain County, OH: Lakewood